One of two training centers of the Bethel Seminary of the East. Bethel Seminary of the East trains students in the dense populations of New England and Washington, D.C. These convenient teaching centers make seminary education accessible – allowing students to stay in their local communities and ministries.
Bethel University hold programs in existing churches to give students an opportunity to engage in mentorship and community building. Plus, the resources we would use on facilities are channeled right into developing our students.
Bethel University is affiliated with and supported by the congregations of the Baptist General Conference. Fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission—North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, the university is also a member of the Christian College Consortium.
Bethel University began in Chicago, Illinois as a seminary for Baptist immigrants from Sweden. John Alexis Edgren opened a department for Scandinavian theological students in the fall of 1871 in the basement of First Swedish Baptist Church in Chicago starting in 1871. The seminary merged with Bethel Academy in Saint Paul, Minnesota in 1914. In 1931 the Academy became Bethel Junior College. The addition of a four-year liberal arts college program created Bethel College and Seminary in 1947. The school relocated from St. Paul to Arden Hills, Minnesota in 1972. Beginning in 2004, the institution changed its name to Bethel University.