Category Archives: Small

Evangelical-Theological

Evangelical Seminary

Evangelical Seminary is a graduate school and interdenominational seminary located in Myerstown, Pennsylvania. This seminary develops servant leaders for transformational ministry in a broken and complex world by nurturing rigorous minds, passionate hearts, and Christ-centered actions.

The Evangelical Congregational (EC) Church traces its roots to the conversion of Jacob Albright, a Pennsylvania German farmer, in a Methodist class meeting His conviction was to bring the Christian faith to his neighbors at a time when the Methodist Church did not allow worship services to be conducted in the German language. His converts took the name Evangelische Gemeinschaft (Evangelical Association) in 1816, and the church prospered until the 1890s, when a large minority of the Association re-organized as the United Evangelical (UE) Church in 1894.

Throughout the Great Depression and World War II, EC denominational leaders kept alive the vision of an evangelical Wesleyan Arminian theological seminary. In 1953 Evangelical Congregational School of Theology opened on the Myerstown campus with two full-time and three part-time professors and twelve students. The seminary received approval from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1957 to grant the Bachelor of Divinity degree (changed to Master of Divinity in 1970) and in 1979 the Master of Arts in Religion degree.

The seminary continued to offer courses at off-site locations like Allentown, Lancaster, and Hershey, PA and at Messiah College in Grantham, PA and experimented with distance learning. Concern for training of persons beyond the traditional degree programs resulted in the introduction of Graduate Certificates in various areas of ministry (2006) and formation of the Center for Leadership Impact (2009). In 2007 the school was renamed became Evangelical Theological Seminary, and in 2011, shortened the name to simply Evangelical Seminary. Over the course of the last half-century Evangelical Seminary has served Christ and His church in preparing men and women for Christian vocations. Now with a student body of nearly 200 from over twenty denominations and independent churches, Evangelical strives to “develop servant leaders for effective ministry in a broken and complex world” with John Wesley’s concern for “rigorous minds, passionate heats, and Christ-centered actions.” With alumni in many countries and diverse forms of ministry, Evangelical Seminary continues to expand its vision of service.

Anderson-University

Anderson University School of Theology

Anderson University School of Theology is the only seminary of the Church of God (Anderson, Indiana). Our ongoing relationship with our sponsoring church is valued, and a vital partnership necessary for providing spiritual leaders for the church in the 21st century. The seminary community is also enriched by the variety of church backgrounds and ethnic heritage of its students, faculty, and staff.

Anderson University was founded by and is supported by the Church of God, with headquarters in Anderson, Ind. Founded in 1917, the school was a major step in the life of a young and vigorous fellowship of Christians which had originated about 1880. This fellowship, which took on a common New Testament name, often describes itself as a reformation movement. Its vision was to preach and live out a message of holiness and to invite believers into a body united by a common experience in the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

Anderson University has grown to comprise an undergraduate liberal arts program, organized into two colleges and three schools, a graduate School of Theology, and a center for adult education (the School of Adult Learning). The university offers several graduate degree programs, including the Doctor of Business Administration (D.B.A.), Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), Master of Education (M.Ed.), and Master of Music Education (M.M.E.) degrees, and a dual Master of Science in Nursing – Master of Business Administration (M.S.N. – M.B.A.) degree. More than 2,800 students and nearly 300 instructional and professional staff comprise the community.

Wycliffe-College

Wycliffe College

Wycliffe College is an Anglican Church of Canada seminary federated with the University of Toronto. It is evangelical and Low church in orientation. On the other hand, the University of Toronto’s other Anglican college, the University of Trinity College is Anglo-Catholic in outlook. While being an Anglican seminary, Wycliffe College attracts students from many Christian denominations. As a founding member of the Toronto School of Theology, students are free to participate in the wide range of courses from Canada’s largest ecumenical consortium. It trains those pursuing ordination as well as those preparing for academic careers of scholarship and teaching.

Wycliffe College is colloquially referred to as “Yale North” due to the high number of tenured professors who were trained at Yale Divinity School.

The Anglican seminary was founded in 1877 as the Protestant Episcopal Divinity School, by the Church Association of the Diocese of Toronto, a lay Evangelical group at the Cathedral Church of St. James. The name Wycliffe College, inspired by the English theologian John Wycliffe, was given first to the college’s building and then to the college itself.

To ensure its long-term viability, Wycliffe College began considering various forms of union with the University of Toronto towards the end of the 19th century. Wycliffe College became affiliated with the University of Toronto in 1885 and federated in 1889.

In 1969 the Toronto School of Theology (TST) was created as an independent federation of 7 schools of theology, including the divinity faculties of Wycliffe college. Within its own federation, the University of Toronto granted all but theology or divinity degrees. Since 1978, by virtue of a change made in its charter, the University of Toronto has granted theology degrees conjointly with Wycliffe College and other TST’s member institutions.

An Act respecting Wycliffe College, being chapter 112 of the Statutes of Ontario, 1916, was repealed and the Wycliffe College Act, 2002 was substituted. Wycliffe College’s Arms were registered with the Canadian Heraldic Authority on March 15, 2007.

The Wycliffe College Chapel sancturary features several stained glass windows including: `Our Lord“, `St. Paul`, `St. John` and `Timothy` by Robert McCausland Limited.

WMU-photo

World Mission University

On September 28, 1988, the Oriental Mission Church implemented a special committee to pray about the need for a new seminary for training missionaries, pastors, and lay leaders. When the meeting adjourned, the seed that would become World Mission Theological Seminary had been planted. In March 1989, World Mission Theological Seminary started with thirty-two students and Rev. Dong Sun Lim was appointed as the first President.

World Mission Theological Seminary was authorized to issue the Master of Divinity and Master of Arts degrees in 1991, and the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1992 by the California Department of Education. In 1993, the name of the institution was changed from World Mission Theological Seminary to World Mission University to reflect the school’s broader offering of programs.

In August 2003, the institution moved to a new location in Koreatown, a center of downtown Los Angeles. In 2004, World Mission University achieved Candidate Status with the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE). Today, World Mission University is accredited by both the Association of Biblical Higher Education and the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools. World Mission University also has Candidate Status with the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada. All three accrediting agencies are members of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and recognized by the United States Department of Education.

Southern-Evangelical

Southern Evangelical Seminary

Located in Charlotte, North Carolina, Southern Evangelical Seminary is a conservative evangelical seminary that offers undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees in Christian apologetics, theology, philosophy, biblical studies and more. The seminary was established in 1992 by Ross Rhoads, a former pastor of Calvary Church in Charlotte and Noran Geisler, a leading Christian apologist and theologian. Rhoads’ burden for evangelism and Geisler’s concern to defend the Faith combined in the two-fold vision of Southern Evangelical Seminary to evangelize the world and to defend the historic Christian Faith. It was officially incorporated in the State of North Carolina on January 6, 1992.

The first classes began in September of 1992. Southern Evangelical Seminary grew rapidly, attracting students from all over the United States and several other countries. From the beginning it attracted national attention by its unique program in evangelism and classical apologetics. The first graduate received his degree in 1995. Ross Rhoads was appointed as the first President of the Seminary. Norman Geisler would assume the presidency and remain in that position until 2006.

In the late summer of 2003, Southern Evangelical Seminary completed the building of its own 23,000-square-foot (2,100 m2) facility on a ten and one-half acre lot located at 3000 Tilley Morris Road, Matthews, North Carolina. In the Fall of 2004 Southern Evangelical Bible College was established to offer students the opportunity to complete an undergraduate degree. For a few years, starting in 2006 Alex McFarland, a long time friend of the seminary, was president. Alex’s blend of apologetics and evangelism was found to be a perfect fit for SES which includes both of these in its two-fold mission statement: To evangelize the world and defend the historic Christian faith.

In Spring of 2007 the Veritas Graduate School of Apologetics at SES was approved to offer the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree. In the Spring of 2008, a 25,000-square-foot (2,300 m2) facility was added, which doubled the library, tripled the bookstore, and provided more classroom space for students in the growing residency program. The new building also houses a radio station and a state of the art studio for recording.

Richard Land, formerly noted as President of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, and a stalwart voice of theological and social conservatism was named president on July 1, 2013, expanding the appeal and reach of Southern Evangelical Seminary.

Briercrest-College

Briercrest College and Seminary

Briercrest College and Seminary is a community of rigorous learning that calls students to seek the kingdom of God, to be shaped profoundly by the Scriptures, and to be formed spiritually and intellectually for lives of service. Briercrest College and Seminary also operates Caronport High School.

Its precursor was a home Bible study in the village of Briercrest, Saskatchewan, which grew to include several members of the community. Eventually the group formed a new church, the Briercrest Gospel Assembly. The people needed a pastor to lead the church and wanted to open a Bible school.

Henry Hildebrand was a student at Winnipeg Bible Institute and a circuit riding preacher with Canadian Sunday School Mission (CSSM). Mr. Sinclair Whittaker, one of the believers at Briercrest, was a businessman and a former Conservative member of the provincial legislature. He contacted Henry, informing him of their need for a pastor and their desire to open a Bible school. Eventually Hildebrand agreed to join them at Briercrest.

Briercrest Bible Institute opened its doors on October 19, 1935, and 11 students enrolled. A rented house served as dormitory, classroom, and office for the school. Mr. Hildebrand was principal and Mrs. Annie Hillson, Mrs. Isabel Whittaker, Jean Whittaker, and Margaret Rusk helped with teaching and administration. Donald McMillan joined them in the second term as assistant principal.

By 1946, they had outgrown their facility, and Mr. Whittaker arranged the purchase of Royal Airforce Base #33 in Caron for $50,000. The new facility was dedicated on July 1, 1946, and the task of converting the airbase into dormitories, classrooms, offices, and staff housing began.

Caronport High School opened in September 1946. A grade school also began that year. Enrollment grew in all of the schools and many new buildings were constructed to accommodate the growing student body. In the early 1970s, the schools began to recognize the need for academic credibility. Briercrest became a candidate for accreditation with the Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges (now the Association for Biblical Higher Education) in 1973, and became accredited in 1976. The school was given authority to grant degrees in 1974. In 1979, a distance learning program was launched. In 1982, the name Briercrest Bible Institute was changed to Briercrest Bible College. The seminary began in 1983, and receive accreditation from the Association of Theological Schools in 1998. College enrollment grew from 285 in 1970 to 775 in 1985.

Phoenix-Seminary

Phoenix Seminary

Phoenix Seminary is an Inter/Multidenominational, evangelical, Protestant, Christian seminary established in 1987 in Phoenix, Arizona. Our campus is located in Central Phoenix with opportunities for multi-cultural and multi-generational ministries. Phoenix Seminary is where hundreds of men and women have embarked upon the most important journey of their lives.

Phoenix Seminary has been fully accredited by the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada (ATS) since 2002. Additionally, Phoenix Seminary is in the process of obtaining accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

The seminary offers several degrees approved by ATS. These include: Master of Divinity, Master of Arts in Biblical Leadership, and Doctor of Ministry. The seminary also partners with Ottawa University in a Master of Arts in Professional Counseling program. The seminary also offers a Graduate Diploma in Biblical and Theological Studies.

Classes were held at the former Scottsdale campus from 2000 through 2005. In 2005, Phoenix Seminary purchased and moved its campus to a new building in central Phoenix. In 2008, the Center for Women with Vision opened.

Phoenix Seminary is not just another accredited, graduate theological seminary. We have embraced unique distinctives since our inception more than 20 years ago. We believe excellence is a matter of mind and heart.

Providence-Theological

Providence Theological Seminary

Providence Theological Seminary is an evangelical institution whose purpose is to serve the Church, in the accomplishment of its mission, by preparing and supporting leaders, developing resources, and facilitating theological reflection.

Providence began in Winnipeg in 1925 as Winnipeg Bible Training School, the vision of Rev. H.L. Turner. The name was soon changed to Winnipeg Bible Institute. Over the next 45 years it remained a small but academically vibrant school. It received a provincial charter to grant theological degrees in 1949 and was renamed Winnipeg Bible Institute and College of Theology. In 1963 the college moved to a full degree-granting program and was again re-named, this time to Winnipeg Bible College, a name it retained until 1991.

In 1970, Winnipeg Bible College faced a financial and enrolment crisis. The building it was occupying in Winnipeg was slated for destruction and the school needed a new home. That new home turned out to be St. Joseph’s College, a Roman Catholic high school in Otterburne which had been closed a few years previously. The college moved there in the fall of 1970 with 70 students enrolled for classes. Within a few years the school had grown to 300 full-time students.

In 1972 a longtime dream became reality with the formation of a graduate division called Providence Theological Seminary. Since that time, the seminary has become one of Canada’s most respected interdenominational seminaries, with full membership in the Association of Theological Schools (ATS).

As early as 1931, President Rev. Forsberg, stated that “academic excellence and spiritual vitality should go hand in hand.” He envisioned strengthening the school through the addition of liberal arts and his vision continues. In the 1960s, Rev. Elmer Towns pushed Providence to “greater academic excellence while still maintaining a high level of Spirituality.” More liberal arts courses were added throughout our history and in 1991, a transferability arrangement was achieved with the University of Manitoba. At present, by far the majority of our College courses are transferable to public university programs across Canada and beyond.

In 1992, in an effort to more accurately represent both its theological roots and its broad academic program, the school’s name was changed to Providence College and Theological Seminary. The name is steeped in tradition — one of its buildings was named Providence House — and it also speaks of God’s provision for the school over its 80 years of providing the best in Christian education.

Beeson-Divinity

Beeson Divinity School

Beeson Divinity School of Samford University is an interdenominational evangelical theological school in Birmingham, Alabama. The current dean of Beeson Divinity School is Timothy George and is the Professor of Divinity History and Doctrine. In addition, Beeson Divinity School is one of eight schools that make up Samford University.

On February 9, 1988, the Board of Trustees of Samford University authorized the establishment of the School of Divinity beginning in the 1988-1989 academic session. In one sense this action fulfilled the founding purpose of the University adopted in 1841 which provided for “the establishment of a Theological Institution, connected with the college hereinafter established.”

The seminary was established on February 9, 1988 and was established. In December of 1988, the Samford Board of Trustees voted to name the Divinity School ‘Beeson School of Divinity’ in honor of Ralph Waldo Beeson and his late father, John Wesley Beeson. Ralph Beeson provided the largest gift from a living individual in Samford history to establish the first divinity school at a Baptist college or university in the nation. Beeson Divinity School is open to persons from all Christian denominations.

Mr. Beeson’s founding vision was that Beeson Divinity School would be a place that trains “pastors who can preach.” Although many students and graduates find places of service outside the pulpit, the Seminary’s aim is to give special attention to the pastoral ministry.

Multnomah-Bibilical

Multnomah Biblical Seminary of Multnomah University

Multnomah Biblical Seminary is a conservative, evangelical seminary located in Portland, Oregon with several teaching sites located in Reno, NV and Seattle, WA. The Seminary currently offers seven seminary degrees including: Master of Divinity (M.Div.), MA in Christian Leadership (MACL), MA in Biblical Studies (MABS), MA in Theological Studies (MATS), MA in Applied Theology (MAAT), Master of Theology (Th.M.), and Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.).

On February 14, 1936, Rev. John G. Mitchell called a meeting of Portland-area ministers and Christian businessmen to discuss the idea of creating a Bible school in the Pacific Northwest. Mitchell, working with Dr. B.B. Sutcliffe, Dr. Willard Aldrich, and others founded the school that year. The following October, classes began with 49 students and a half-dozen faculty in a former mortuary. In 1943 Willard Aldrich became president of the school, and at age 34 the youngest president of a college in the United States. Willard served as president up until his retirement in 1978. During his time as president Multnomah came to reside on its current campus, and became a degree-granting college. His son, Dr. Joe Aldrich, followed his father as President and was affectionately referred to as Dr. Joe. The Multnomah Graduate School of Ministry was founded as a related institution in 1986 and was renamed later to Multnomah Biblical seminary. In 1993, the college was renamed to Multnomah Bible College and on July 1, 2008, the over-arching name of the entire institution was changed to Multnomah University.

Because Multnomah Biblical Seminary was launched to provide a complementary, non-repetitive seminary option for the Bible college graduates, we offer an advanced track designed to build on your Biblical and theological foundation rather than repeating it.